Re: mount: unknown filesystem type 'nfs'

When I try to mount an NFS filesystem, I get this error:

mount: unknown filesystem type 'nfs'

Here's the mount command I'm using on host2:

mount host1.domain.com:/tmp /mnt

On host1.domain.com, I have this in /etc/exports:

/tmp host2.domain.com(ro,sync)

Do a `grep nfs /proc/filesystems' and see what you get back. This will let you know if currently there is nfs support.

If nothing, try `modprobe nfs' and give it another shot. If that doesn't work, make sure that NFS client support was actually included with your kernel build.

Here's what I get:

rh2:~# grep nfs /proc/filesystems
rh2:~# modprobe nfs
modprobe: Can't locate module nfs

Is your kernel custom, debian built, etc?

AFAIK, it's a stock Debian kernel (I didn't do the actual install):

host2:~# uname -a
Linux host2.domain.com 2.4.26-bf2.4 #1 SMP Wed May 26 08:34:11 PDT 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

This machine didn't exist in May 2004, so the kernel certainly wasn't built on this machine. Sorry, but I'm not familiar enough with Debian (yet) to find out what kernel package I have installed.

Have you actually checked that you have NFS support?  What does

	grep NFS /boot/config*

give you?

It gives me nothing, but it also gives me nothing on host1, where NFS is working fine.

--df