Re: non-network printer in a network.

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 11:07:58PM +0200, Hans wrote:
| Enlighten me please.
|
| I have an HP Office Jet 5505 all-in-one on my main box. This isn't a
| network printer, and by that I mean no build in network card, it just
| plugs into the USB port.
|
| I like to make the printer part available to other machines with SAMBA.
| I haven't succeeded yet. I will one day, but I was just wondering about
| the method the whole shebang uses....... Is it:

Here is my recommendation:

1)  plug the printer into a debian machine (call it "server")
2)  install cups and samba on the "server"
3)  configure cups on "server" with a queue for the printer (verify
        that it works)
4)  configure samba on "server" to query cups for printer queues

Now you have three scenarios for clients :

"client1" -- a debian (or other UNIX-like) system
"client2" -- a "modern" Windows system
"client3" -- a legacy Windows system

5)  install cupsys-client on "client1"
6)  edit /etc/cups/client.conf to specify "server" as the server

Now on "client1" you are done.  'lpstat -p' will list the printers
configured on "server".  'lp -d foo' will send a job to queue name
'foo' on "server".

7)  on "client2" click through the Add Printer wizard.  At the
    appropriate points fill in the following information:
        + internet printer, url is http://server:631/printer/foo
            (where 'server' is the DNS name, and 'foo' is the queue
            name)
        + Choose Apple Color LaserWriter PS as the printer model

Now "client2" will use IPP to talk directly with cups.  The only
downside (inevitable with MS' fat-client architecture) is that the
windows apps will think the printer has only the capabilities of the
Apple printer.  The upside of that is all the printer-specific
configuration (regardless of the printer) is done once, server-side,
instead of N times client-side for N clients.

8)  on "client3" do the same thing, but instead of using IPP (because
    it isn't available) use samba

HTH,
-D

--
One man gives freely, yet gains even more;
another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.