Re: want to change /var/log partition to a directory in /var --help

Please send fdisk -l /dev/hda. Judging by your /etc/fstab, you can't do
anything because you have /home and /tmp between /var and /var/log. The
best you cand do is to move /tmp and /var/log to /var and extend /home
:-)

I will describe the next steps anyway:

First: ext3 must resized offline. Second, if you modify the partition
table while running you have to reboot anyway, because the kernel
cannot reload the partition table while the disk is being used. You can
combine these two into 2 steps:

cp -r /var/log /home/log.bak
adjust partition table. delete the /var/log line in /etc/fstab

reboot into single user mode

What happens: after reboot, /dev/hda3 will be larger, but the filesystem
has not changed yet. Being in single user mode, no program is running
at all so you can just
	umount /var
	ext2resize /dev/hda3
	mount /var