Re: poor font rendering in white-over-black (eg Mutt)

Alex Grigorovich wrote:

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 13:53 +0200, A Mennucc wrote:
one problem is that the rendering of the fonts when using Mutt, or any other application
that draws white chars over black background, is much worse

Try disabling font autoaliasing (Applications->Desktop
Preferences->Font->monochrome under gnome).
this fixes the problem in the gnome terminal showing mutt, (or, "aptitude")
but it skrews the rendering in all other cases, so I am unwilling to do that

I believe you can disable it for specific font/size combinations
applying some fontconfig magic, but I've never actually worked out how.

I may look for that , too

-----

I have played with different fonts :
monospace is actually the best
courier is even worse.

I also played with different settings of hinting and of antialiasing:

hinting = full , antialiasing = grayscale  , font = courier 10 pt
gives the worst case : in this case, some parts of some letters
are so dark that they are almost invisible

see attachment

I really think that this is a bug ...
what package should I report against?

thax