Re: want to change /var/log partition to a directory in /var --help

Thankyou so much Ionut for the detailed steps :-)

On 5/24/05, Ionut Georgescu <george@pks.mpg.de> wrote:
> cd /var
> cp -r log log.bak # or cp -r log /home/log.bak is /var is too small
> umount log
> rmdir log
> mv log.bak log

I understood the steps but I have a doubt.

What will hape When I restart the system????

Should I remove any thing from fstab???? before I restart???

#
/dev/hda1       /               ext3    errors=remount-ro       0       1
/dev/hda2       none            swap    sw                      0       0
proc            /proc           proc    defaults                0       0
/dev/fd0        /floppy         auto    user,noauto             0       0
/dev/cdrom      /cdrom          iso9660 ro,user,noauto          0       0
/dev/hda3       /var    ext3    defaults                        0       2
/dev/hda5       /home   ext3    defaults                        0       2
/dev/hda6       /tmp    ext3    defaults                        0       2
/dev/hda7       /var/log        ext3    defaults                        0
2
/dev/hda8       /usr    ext3    defaults                        0       2
/etc/fstab (END)

the line

/dev/hda7       /var/log        ext3    defaults                        0

is my suspect :-)

Is it O.K to remove that line??? or should I leave it there??? is that
enough? or should i be removing somehing else also some where else??

Thankyou so much once again :-))

kind regards

Siju