Re: local IP and new MAC address

michael wrote:
I'm trying (again!) to sort this out and can't find any answers so,
fingers crossed, one of you guys can help!

I have a Broadband connection and my Debian box sits behind a router. I
recently upgraded the motherboard so it now has a new MAC address. The
router therefore assigns my box as 192.168.0.5 but when I first set up
Debian the local IP was 192.168.0.2. So, how do I get Debian to
recognise the new IP

My first question is are you unable to control the behavior of the router?
Who set up the router to mind MAC addresses, which probably was not its
default behavior?  Secondly, if it has to mind MAC addresses (e.g. for
security reasons) then why not change the MAC/IP pairing in the router?
The rest of my reply, however, assumes that you have no control over the router.

Assuming you are using DHCP, when your DHCP client "leases" a spare local
IP address from the router's DHCP server, it's "recognized" not only by
"Debian" (the kernel and all apps) but by all other hosts on your LAN as
the unique IP address associated with your MAC.  This all happens automagically
and you don't have to worry about it.  :-)

 (eg so that I can set up port redirection correctly
- at the moment I have to redirect WinXP's VNC ports to 192.168.0.5 but
my ssh port, for Debian, to 192.168.0.2)?

Where does XP fit into this picture?  Is it running virtually under emulation?
Is it on another PC in the same LAN? This part needs some clarification.  Finally,
if you can set up port redirection in the router the I don't know why you don't
just fix the MAC/IP pairing problem there instead.

Thanks,