Re: local IP and new MAC address

On (24/05/05 00:32), michael wrote:
> I'm trying (again!) to sort this out and can't find any answers so,
> fingers crossed, one of you guys can help!
>
> I have a Broadband connection and my Debian box sits behind a router. I
> recently upgraded the motherboard so it now has a new MAC address. The
> router therefore assigns my box as 192.168.0.5 but when I first set up
> Debian the local IP was 192.168.0.2. So, how do I get Debian to
> recognise the new IP (eg so that I can set up port redirection correctly
> - at the moment I have to redirect WinXP's VNC ports to 192.168.0.5 but
> my ssh port, for Debian, to 192.168.0.2)?

You have two options:
1. Install dhcp-client, this will pick-up an IP address from the router.

2. Assign the new ip address in /etc/network/interfaces:

iface eth0 inet static
      address 192.168.*.*
      netmask 255.255.255.0
      network 192.168.*.*
      broadcast 192.168.*.255
      gateway 192.168.*.1

NB If you are using dhcp you will need this in /etc/network/interfaces:

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Regards