Re: Booting from floppies

On Friday 20 May 2005 16:33, Amira Youssef wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've a problem booting from the cdrom although the cd drive is wokring
> fine. I had to boot from a rescue drive and then root.bin "worked and when
> it start asking about the soure to install the kernel I selected the crom
> to avoid using many floppies and the cd was detected.
>
> My question is the cd I used is the first cd.iso in the cd images, is that
> right
1- You have to burn the cd.iso as "cd image" not as "data cd".
2- The easiest way (I know) is to download and burn the "net install" cd then
you can complete the rest of installation via the internet.

3- for newbies I would recommend knoppix or Kanotix live cd (both gives you
selection of kernel 2.4.x OR 2.6.6).
Generally I would recommend using Grub as boot loader and kernel 2.6.11.8
for the ease of hardware detection.

> as it always searching for a file called images1.44/...  or should I
> create a cd with the floppies base file?
the iso CD's  includes this booting files ,so you do not need that step.

> Thanks & Rgds,
you are welcome.
Mohammad