Re: Can't Defrag Ext3 File System

Carlos Rodrigues wrote:

The references on this are mostly highly technical, and you can find a bunch of those by googling. But sometimes the best way to is just to try and forget the habits learned on MS-land and adopt a wait-and-see approach.

Just let your filesystems be, and in time you will realise that they works very well without the rituals you are used to perform on your Windows systems.

I know what I'm talking about, because I already asked the same questions you are asking now and it took me quite some time to finally believe it to be true.

And after 8 years using Linux all the time, I came to find the MS-land rituals somewhat exotic (if unix filesystems take care of themselves, why can't the so called New Technology File System?).

It was supposed to if you remember. NT didn't come with a defrag utility until a certian service pack after they figured out that they were wrong in their assumption that NTFS didn't need to be defragmented. To put a fine point on it, MS screwed up.

And to throw salt in the wound, they have such a crappy defrag utility included with their NTFS based OS's due to a patent issue with Executive Software. (Who they originally contracted with to do FAT... HA HA!)

-Mike