How to enable a user access to fsck at boot up.

Good day.

When machine reboots and there is problem with file system one has an
option to enter root password and user fsck utility to check and fix
file system errors.

I think this is done via sulogin utility and /etc/init.d/fscheck.sh
script.

On some machines I have trusted users who can su via sudo, but I am
reluctant to give away root password. Is it possible to allow trusted
users to run fsck without knowing root password.

I could find some explanation about how sulogin work in it's manual. It
says:

... if  the -e option is specified, sulogin examines these
files directly to find the root password:

       /etc/passwd,
       /etc/shadow (if present)

       If they are damaged or non-existant, sulogin will start  a  root
shell without  asking  for a password. ...

Ivan

Ivan Teliatnikov                phone: +61 2 9351 2031
F05, Edgworth David Bld.          fax: +61 2 9351 0184
School of Geosciences           email: ivan@geosci.usyd.edu.au
Univrsity of Sydney               www: http://www.geosci.usyd.edu.au
Australia