Re: How to enable a user access to fsck at boot up.

In article <[🔎] 1116824860.3125.87.camel@cobalt.es.usyd.edu.au>,
Ivan Teliatnikov  <ivan@geosci.usyd.edu.au> wrote:
>Good day.
>
>When machine reboots and there is problem with file system one has an
>option to enter root password and user fsck utility to check and fix
>file system errors.
>
>I think this is done via sulogin utility and /etc/init.d/fscheck.sh
>script.

Actually, via /etc/init.d/checkroot.sh and /etc/init.d/checkfs.sh.
Those check the root filesystem and all other filesystems, and
start a shell through sulogin if something went wrong.

>On some machines I have trusted users who can su via sudo, but I am
>reluctant to give away root password. Is it possible to allow trusted
>users to run fsck without knowing root password.

No, that is not possible.

Why not set FSCKFIX to y on those machines in /etc/default/rcS
(see "man rcS"). If you do that fsck will be able to repair a
disk without manual intervention in most cases.

By the way, what are you doing with those machines? Running ext2
filesystems and then turning off the power during heavy writes?
Consider upgrading to a journalling filesystem like ext3.

Mike.