Re: Can't Defrag Ext3 File System

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
Ok, I get your message, but for my gratification, insight and knowledge
of Linux how do I get the programs to run without error and not distroy
my harddisk?  I'll  run e2fsck to check on defragmentation but would still
like to know how to run the defrag program.
Thanks for your replys and consideration of my request,

e2defrag can't defrag your filesystem because it doesn't understand some of the options set on it. The probable reason is the "dir_index" flag (hashed directories for fast access when they have lots of files), but I don't even know if it could handle it even without it (because of the journal).

Bottom line is: if you could force it to do its job, it would most likely trash your filesystem.

But... as others said, you don't need to bother with fragmentation with *nix filesystems in general.

And one more thing, even if e2defrag could handle every kind of ext3 filesystem out there, I wouldn't ever trust it. You could probably count the people that have used it with the fingers in one hand (and that includes its author). :)

Carlos Rodrigues