Re: cannot mount cdrom!

steef wrote:

Aaron Maxwell wrote:

Hi, I recently upgraded most of the hardware on my system, but pulled out the cdrom and installed it in the new box. Now I am not able to mount it successfully. This is a normal ATAPI IDE cdrom drive, and I'm running testing. The kernel is 2.6.10 and of course has the atapi driver compiled in.

/dev/hdc is the cdrom device. This is what happens when I try to mount it:
---
jashenki:~# mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
      missing codepage or other error
      dmesg | tail  or so
---
The output of dmesg seems to indicate that everything is fine, up until I try to mount it. Here is the related output:
---
VP_IDE: VIA vt8237 (rev 00) IDE UDMA133 controller on pci0000:00:0f.1
   ide0: BM-DMA at 0xfc00-0xfc07, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
   ide1: BM-DMA at 0xfc08-0xfc0f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
Probing IDE interface ide1...
hdc: E-IDE CD-ROM CR-850E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hdc: ATAPI 50X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
---

And then when I attempt the mount this message shows up in dmesg's tail:

---
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54
ide: failed opcode was 100
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16
---

The drive's jumper is set to "cable select". I originally had it set to master, and changed it to see if it would fix the problem.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

peace to you too.

what happens if you leave <-r> out?

steef

i think -too late - of this: if you try to mount an audio-cd this way it *must* fail

peace to you,

steef