cannot mount cdrom!

Hi, I recently upgraded most of the hardware on my system, but pulled
out the cdrom and installed it in the new box.  Now I am not able to
mount it successfully.  This is a normal ATAPI IDE cdrom drive, and I'm
running testing.  The kernel is 2.6.10 and of course has the atapi
driver compiled in.

/dev/hdc is the cdrom device.  This is what happens when I try to mount
it:
---
jashenki:~# mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so
---
The output of dmesg seems to indicate that everything is fine, up until
I try to mount it.  Here is the related output:
---
VP_IDE: VIA vt8237 (rev 00) IDE UDMA133 controller on pci0000:00:0f.1
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xfc00-0xfc07, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xfc08-0xfc0f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
Probing IDE interface ide1...
hdc: E-IDE CD-ROM CR-850E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hdc: ATAPI 50X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
---

And then when I attempt the mount this message shows up in dmesg's tail:

---
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54
ide: failed opcode was 100
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16
---

The drive's jumper is set to "cable select".  I originally had it set to
master, and changed it to see if it would fix the problem.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

--
Peace,
Aaron Maxwell - http://redsymbol.net