Re: Can't burn CDs since kernel 2.6.7 - am I the only one?

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 04:28:22AM +0200, Vincent Panel wrote:
> I'm not part of the debian-user list, and found this (old) thread on the web
> archive.
>
> I have exactly the same problem than Alan Chandler : I can't burn unless I
> switch to 2.4 kernel (I own a "CW078D CD-R/RW" drive).

It is coincidental that you have brought this back into focus on the
same day that I sorted my version of the same problem and put up a web
page about it. http://pigeon.dyndns.org/stuff/cw088d.html

It looks like the CW-078D model has a similar bug to the CW-088D model
which I could not burn with under 2.6. Floods of errors and lockups.
The details varied according to which permutation of incantations I
used but the result was the same: hit the reset button and thank the
Lord for ext3.

Strangely, though cdrecord was unusable, cdrdao worked fine, so at the
cost of having to mess about with toc files I could still burn CDs.

The solution, which was forced on me by the drive deciding that the
CDs it burnt would no longer be readable, was to get a different model
of drive.

> - Using kernel 2.4 you can only burn ONCE !!

But not precisely the same bug, because the CW-088D works fine under
2.4 and you can burn as many times as you want.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons