Re: Can't burn CDs since kernel 2.6.7 - am I the only one?

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 04:28:22AM +0200, Vincent Panel wrote:
> I'm not part of the debian-user list, and found this (old) thread on the web
> archive.
>
> I have exactly the same problem than Alan Chandler : I can't burn unless I
> switch to 2.4 kernel (I own a "CW078D CD-R/RW" drive). But I noticed two
> things :
>
> - Using kernel 2.4 you can only burn ONCE !! if you try to burn a second time,
> you get approximately the same problem than 2.6 : cdrecord hangs and is
> unkillable (note : this is a cdrecord / kernel problem, not a k3B one)
>
> - When disabling DMA (using hdparm -d 0 /dev/hdd) on the drive and using
> kernel 2.6, I have been able to blank a cdrw, just like alan said. But then,
> couldn't burn anything : like using 2.4, I could only do one operation on the
> drive.
>
> I have flashed my drive with the latest version, and got no success (you need
> windows to do this :( ).
>
> I still haven't tried to burn a whole CD after having rebooted and disabled
> DMA, but I guess it should work... once. This behavior can also explain why
> alan had problems to reproduce the problem. Hope this helps a bit...
>
> Vincent.

I struggled with the setup - see  USB dvdrw mount point Woes posted 17
May - but as /dev/sg0 my Sony dvdrw drive is burning cd's with cdrecord
and performing beautifully with Sarge, a 2.6.8 kernel and DMA enabled.
I don't have any clue to assist you other than the assurance it can
work.

Tom George