Re: [debian] Re: Virii on linux

On Thursday 19 May 2005 04:56, Keith Bates wrote:
> > Not to be pedantic, but the generally accepted plural of virus is
> > viruses:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural_of_virus
>
> By definition, you are being pedantic :-)
>
> Or at least prescriptive in the terms of the article.

Not to be pedantic, but... ;D

Is that what "not to be pedantic" means?  I don't think it means "I'm not
being pedantic".  If it did, there would be no point in using the infinitive
form of to be.

It seems to me that "not to be pedantic" means "I'm not saying this with the
purpose of being pedantic, even though, without a higher reason for saying
it, it would be."  For instance, you can say a pendantic thing with the
purpose of educating someone, rather than with the sole purpose of being
pendantic.

--
Lee.

Please send replies to the list, not to my email address.