Re: Problem after removing old kernel packages

starmoon wrote:
> Alexander Toresson wrote:
> > I removed the older kernel-image-* packages I had today, and kept only
> > 2.6.8-2-686.
> > However, when I restarted, it seems like there's a big problem related
> > to the modules.
> > The sound card module (cs4232) ain't loaded, and if I try to modprobe
> > it, I get an error saying it's not found. The same is true for the usb
> > modules, network card etc, except a few of them, like ext3, ext2,
> > ide_disk, vesafb, font, piix etc.
> >
> > I also tried to mount the floppy drive, to write the dmesg to a
> > floppy, but mount /dev/fd0 complains that /dev/fd0 isn't a block
> > device. So I have no way of attaching a dmesg to this message, both
> > network and floppy drive is defunct.
> >
> > When it tries to start X, it stands there switching between black
> > screen and console view a few times, then I'm able to log in normally
> > to the console.
> >
> > I've considered doing a complete reinstall, however, I would need to
> > take backup.
>

> Try dpkg-reconfigure kernel-image-*. If there is still the problem, I
> recommend getting a new kernel-image.

I tried that. Now when I boot I get:

vesafb: Unknown symbol cfb_copyarea
vesafb: Unknown symbol cfb_imageblit
vesafb: Unknown symbol cfb_fillrect
pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 431: cannot open dev/console: No such file
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

Well, disaster. I guess I have to do a reinstall.
I can use a live cd to look at and change files, so if anybody has any
idea of why this
may have happened and where to look on the hd, please reply. IMO
things like this
shouldn't happen (so it may be a bug somewhere).

Regards, Alexander Toresson