Re: CPU's and system monitor

On 19:14, Tue 17 May 05, John T. Moran wrote:
> I installed Debian sarge today and the install went good. I couldn't get
> the system to boot with the 2.6.8 smp kernel so I changed the repository
> to unstable and installed the 2.6.11.1 kernel. Everything went fine and
> no problems. System shows no bad behaviour. The one thing I noticed is
> the System monitor is only showing one cpu. I have an Intel d865gbf
> board with a 3.0 HT P4. I also have an Ubuntu 5.04 install on another
> hard drive and it shows 2 cpu's.
>
> I checked the /proc/cpuinfo file and it is listing a cpu0 and cpu1.
>
> Any help with why System monitor would only show one cpu and any oher
> ways to check if the HT is being used correctly? Thanks.
>
> John

One of the first things I would check is top, see if it
see's two cpu's. I would also check dmesg see if it lists
two cpu's, I do not know how it lists a logical cpu, but I
am sure google can find it out for you.

I know many moons ago when I tried the installer on sarge it
only seen one cpu, seems that they do not include an smp
aware kernel with the installer, that might of changed a
while ago. If that is the case just make your own, or
download a smp aware kernel with apt-get. That was with dual
amd MP cpus, was many moons ago, probably going on a good
nine months.

You just might want to keep it to one cpu as HyperThreading
has a security bulletin against it, found in the BSD's
probably effects all OS's. Check the news its all over the
web if you want to find out more.

Gnu-Raiz