From: "J. Van Lierde" <icebiker@ca.inter.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Is 64MB enough?
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 10:06:32 -0400

John Moore wrote:

I'm a total Linux newbie who'd like to install Linux on my really old PC. It has 64MB of RAM and a 4GB hard disk. The installation documentation I've read at debian.org seems to indicate that this is sufficient. Is that right? Thanks.

I've run sarge with icewm on a 200Mhz Pentium with 64MB and found it barely usable, the disk was paging constantly. If you want to use your mouse, I think you have to pick your window manager (a lot of posters seem to like flux box) and apps for their size (i.e. forget about firefox, openoffice etc.) You want to spend some time mining the debian-user archive, this query comes up regularly.

On the other hand, it runs real sweet with regular terminal sessions. For that reason, I rationized not throwing it out. It might be useful as a small server someday.

/JVL