i also think I understand the gist of the translation modes, which i take to be a bunch of klugy maps between hard disk addressing standards. i am guessing that it would be best if a bunch of unnecessary translations weren't going on every time debian tries to access the hard disk. is there a setting here that would be most appropriate to minimize superfluous translations?

thanks again in advance for help. i understand that a lot of these questions are probably the stuff that is taught in an intro computer science course; if they are too simple and general for the list, please let me know, and if you could recommend a decent overall reference i would appreciate it. i am switching from windows because (in addition to the fact that it just feels stupid and full of redundencies) it leaves the user completely out of touch with what is actually going on inside the computer. thus my need to understand every aspect of the debian install process, ground up.

fp

On 16 May 2005, at 14:23, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

On 2005-05-16, Adam Majer penned:
Franklin Parlamis wrote:

i tried to partition my hard drive for a debian woody install.  it
is just south of 80 Gb and IDE (from a Compaq EVO D510 I am
tranferring from Windows platform).  i wanted to go with 6
partitions, which would require using an extended type physical
drive to put the logical drives in.  using cfdisk, i made hda1
bootable and type 83 (2 Gb), hda2 type 82 (10 Gb).  but when i
tried to make hda3 an extended type (05, i believe) it would not
let me.  any thoughts?  my bios is compaq 68602 v2.20.

You don't make the extended partition. With cfdisk, you create
either Primary or Logical partitions. This question is asked when
you create a new partition. You can only have one block of logical
partitions. If you try to mix them up too much you might end up with
unusable disk space (until you repartition your drive)

To follow up on this,

If you have access to parted, you may find that it's a friendlier way
to partition and format a disk.  The help command actually is
helpful, and the error messages when it won't let you do something
are also pretty clear.

--
monique

Ask smart questions, get good answers: