Re: partitioning help

Franklin Parlamis wrote:

> i tried to partition my hard drive for a debian woody install.  it is
> just south of 80 Gb and IDE (from a Compaq EVO D510 I am tranferring
> from Windows platform).  i wanted to go with 6 partitions, which would
> require using an extended type physical drive to put the logical
> drives in.  using cfdisk, i made hda1 bootable and type 83 (2 Gb),
> hda2 type 82 (10 Gb).  but when i tried to make hda3 an extended type
> (05, i believe) it would not let me.  any thoughts?  my bios is compaq
> 68602 v2.20.

You don't make the extended partition. With cfdisk, you create either
Primary or Logical partitions. This question is asked when you create a
new partition. You can only have one block of logical partitions. If you
try to mix them up too much you might end up with unusable disk space
(until you repartition your drive)

- Adam