Re: mount: mount point /media/cdrom0 does not exist

En/La Mitchell Laks ha escrit, a 15/05/05 19:54:
| Hi,
| I have multiple computers with debian installed.
|
| my /etc/fstab includes the lines
|
| /dev/hdd        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
| /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom1   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
|
| the /media directory has
| cdrom floppy and floppy0 files.
|
| I have noticed that l can easily mount a cdrom on /dev/hdd (or
/dev/hdc ) by
| writing as superuser
| mount /dev/hdd /mnt
| mount /dev/hhc /mnt.
|
| However what I would expect to work
| mount  /media/cdrom0 or
| mount /media/cdrom1 or
| mount /dev/hdd or
| mount /dev/hdc
|
| dont work, with message
| mount: mount point /media/cdrom0 does not exist
|
| Now I do have discover1 installed, as well as udev. This  machine is
running
| sid, but I have  noticed this malfeasance on many of my machines, some of
| them  servers running sarge.
|
| I have generally 'solved' this by getting rid of udev and creating the
right
| devices in /dev/ directory.  Of course that it just circumventing the
problem
| not addresssing it.
|
| Ok, what should I be doing really???
|
| Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,
Yes, I have noticed exactly the same thing. It seems that the
media/cdrom0 etc. are not persistent - they are removed every time your
reboot. I assume that this is a feature not a bug and that there are
good reasons for that. Practically speaking, it means you have to mkdir
the /media/cdromN files before mounting something to them. I've written
a script that does that when I want to mount the drives. Wiser heads
than mine can probably explain why the /media/cdrom0, 1, ...n  mount
points are not presistent.
Cheers,
Jonathan