mount: mount point /media/cdrom0 does not exist

Hi,
I have multiple computers with debian installed.

my /etc/fstab includes the lines

/dev/hdd        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom1   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0

the /media directory has
cdrom floppy and floppy0 files.

I have noticed that l can easily mount a cdrom on /dev/hdd (or /dev/hdc ) by
writing as superuser
mount /dev/hdd /mnt
mount /dev/hhc /mnt.

However what I would expect to work
mount  /media/cdrom0 or
mount /media/cdrom1 or
mount /dev/hdd or
mount /dev/hdc

dont work, with message
mount: mount point /media/cdrom0 does not exist

Now I do have discover1 installed, as well as udev. This  machine is running
sid, but I have  noticed this malfeasance on many of my machines, some of
them  servers running sarge.

I have generally 'solved' this by getting rid of udev and creating the right
devices in /dev/ directory.  Of course that it just circumventing the problem
not addresssing it.

Ok, what should I be doing really???

Mitchell