Re: Woody -> Sarge apt-get dist-upgrade

On (16/05/05 02:58), Simon Gloßner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Andy Hawkins <andy@gently.org.uk> wrote:
> > Now that Sarge has entered freeze, I'm considering upgrading my Woody box to
> > it. This runs the firewall for my local network (connected via Ethernet
> > cable modem) handling mail (Exim v3 and fetchmail), news (newsstar and INN
> > v2.3.2), web proxy etc.
> >
> > Is the upgrade to Sarge relatively painless? Does it perform any major
> > software upgrades that might cause me problems?
>
> I think upgrading from Woody to Sarge isn't easy. Woody is almost three
> years old, so at least you have to read the documention to get an quick
> overview of the changes... After upgrading you have to reedit some
> configuration files, too! For example upgrading from Exim v3 (Woody) to
> Exim v4 (Sarge) is a radical change!
>
> So here's my advice: If you don't need any feature of Sarge and if you
> are complete satisfied with your system, don't upgrade! Otherwise I
> advise you to plan this major system upgrade. It will be a lot of work!

At the risk of being contrary, I recently (January) upgraded a couple of
servers from woody to sarge and it was pretty trivial - in fact I don't
recall having to do any reconfiguration other than answer some questions
during the upgrade.

Given the supposed strength of Debian is that it makes upgrades easy via
aptitude/apt-get, I find the rather dramatic warnings, strange.

YMMV

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...