Re: Woody -> Sarge apt-get dist-upgrade

Hi,

* Andy Hawkins <andy@gently.org.uk> wrote:
> Now that Sarge has entered freeze, I'm considering upgrading my Woody box to
> it. This runs the firewall for my local network (connected via Ethernet
> cable modem) handling mail (Exim v3 and fetchmail), news (newsstar and INN
> v2.3.2), web proxy etc.
>
> Is the upgrade to Sarge relatively painless? Does it perform any major
> software upgrades that might cause me problems?

I think upgrading from Woody to Sarge isn't easy. Woody is almost three
years old, so at least you have to read the documention to get an quick
overview of the changes... After upgrading you have to reedit some
configuration files, too! For example upgrading from Exim v3 (Woody) to
Exim v4 (Sarge) is a radical change!

So here's my advice: If you don't need any feature of Sarge and if you
are complete satisfied with your system, don't upgrade! Otherwise I
advise you to plan this major system upgrade. It will be a lot of work!

Greets Simon!