Re: Trouble with LILO...

From: Marty
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Trouble with LILO...
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 14:47:28 -0400

Thomas Chadwick wrote:

[snip]

I've run into this problem (bug?) many times, and the only consistent
work around I've found is to temporarily disconnect drives other than
one containing the root partition, boot from a rescue floppy and use
the linux command line parameter root=/dev/[...].  In your case I would
use the following command line (boot:) linux root=/dev/hdc1

There is probably a more elegant (correct?) way to do it, but I've not
found it.

Which, in principle, is no different than the method I described, in which I boot into Windows and then jump into Debian with loadlin.

Well, I played around with it some more. On a whim, I tried unplugging the 120GB drive entirely, and moved my 545MB HDD (which boots Windows 98) from the Primary Master position to the Secondary Master position.

Much to my chagrin, I discovered that it will not boot (note that I fiddled with my BIOS settings and tried every conceivable combination of 1st/2nd/3rd boot device).

I guess there's just something about my MOBO that doesn't like booting from anything but the Primary Master.

Oh well.

-Tom