Re: Trouble with LILO...

Thomas Chadwick wrote:
From: Marty
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Trouble with LILO...
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 14:47:28 -0400

Thomas Chadwick wrote:

[snip]

I've run into this problem (bug?) many times, and the only consistent
work around I've found is to temporarily disconnect drives other than
one containing the root partition, boot from a rescue floppy and use
the linux command line parameter root=/dev/[...].  In your case I would
use the following command line (boot:) linux root=/dev/hdc1

There is probably a more elegant (correct?) way to do it, but I've not
found it.

Which, in principle, is no different than the method I described, in which I boot into Windows and then jump into Debian with loadlin.

I was worried you might misinterpret it that way.  I was not clear. (Note the
word "temporary.")  The point of booting by floppy with the target root partition
as the "first drive" (as defined by the BIOS) is that lilo always seems to work
as I expect it to in that configuration.   A tip that might be handy is to use
enough -v's (verbose flags) as lilo arguments to deduce why it's not working the
way you expect.

Well, I played around with it some more. On a whim, I tried unplugging the 120GB drive entirely, and moved my 545MB HDD (which boots Windows 98) from the Primary Master position to the Secondary Master position.

Much to my chagrin, I discovered that it will not boot (note that I fiddled with my BIOS settings and tried every conceivable combination of 1st/2nd/3rd boot device).

I guess there's just something about my MOBO that doesn't like booting from anything but the Primary Master.

Or it's windows, which is hard to move or copy around by design.  Once the
drive is  self-booting you should be able to make it "slave" or "master" in
either channel, assuming the BIOS supports that.  (AFAIK only PCs from the
486 days or earlier do not.)

Oh well.

-Tom