laptop and different networks

Hi,

I am supposed to configure a laptop so that is can be connected to a
CAT5 cable on either a home LAN or a university LAN. Currently, the
laptop is configured as a dhcp client in the home network and has a
fixed IP address in the university network.

I played with ifplugd and guessnet a few months ago but couldn't get it
to work. Someone here was even nice enough to give me his interfaces
file to see how to do the configuration. For some unknown reason, it
just did not work.

I am trying to solve the problem by starting from the beginning. What
options do I have to solve this problem (ifplugd, guessnet, etc)? Of
those options, assuming I am only dealing with a wired network, which
one is easy to configure? A webpage giving detailed documentation on how
to configure this would be actually nice. I have gone through the
ifplugd man page and also went through guessnet man page but iirc both
appeared to be lacking information on how to actually configure them and
if something doesn't work where to look for solutions. It is quite
possible that things have improved since 6 months or so ago. So I am
willing to give this another shot.

regards,
->HS
--
Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address
to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.