Re: laptop and different networks

On Thu, 12 May 2005 12:37:54 -0400
"H. S." <greatexcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am supposed to configure a laptop so that is can be connected to a
> CAT5 cable on either a home LAN or a university LAN. Currently, the
> laptop is configured as a dhcp client in the home network and has a
> fixed IP address in the university network.

Since I need to constantly change my laptop to different networks, I use a
script called Quickswitch to move my laptop to different LAN and WLAN
connections. Quickswitch store each configuration in a profile that can be
applied from the command line with "sudo switchto <profile>". I have found
Quickswitch to be more flexible and easier to use than any of the automatic
or GUI tools currently available.

Unfortunately, there is no Debian package for this but it is very easy to
install. you can find it at http://muthanna.com/quickswitch.

--
Bill Thompson
BillT@Mahagonny.com