Re: setting default compiler version

On Wednesday 11 May 2005 10:03, Robert Vangel wrote:
> When using Makefile's, look at the CC & GCC environmental variables (I'm
> not actually sure if G++ is included there... sorry...)
>
> If doing it by hand, obviously just using `/usr/bin/g++-3.4 [continued]'
> would work.

I'm sure there's an official way to do this.  If nothing else, you can edit
the global make defaults (probably in /usr/share somewhere?), and redefine CC
etc. that way.  Otherwise, you can set the CC variable and similar variables
in the system-wide profile.

I just use a shell script that sets up the variables, then gives me an new
interactive shell to do compilations etc.

Note that not everything compiles on GCC 4 yet, so even when you get this
working, it might not be as useful as you expect :(

Also, bear in mind that some of GCC 4's speedier options require special flags
to be set, since they're not enabled by default.  Problem is, if you enable
them by default, stuff will probably break :)

--
Lee.

Please send replies to the list, not to my email address.