Re: Grub - change boot options

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 01:20:20AM -0400, David R. Litwin wrote:
> Or, some thing like that. How do I make it say
> Windows
> Debian
> Debian (recovery mode)?
> And, what is this recovery mode?

1) To set the order, just put those items in the menu in the
order you want -- Windows first, Debian second, etc.

2) If the operating system you want as the default is in
position N in the menu, where N starts at 0, then use

default	N

to set that one as the default.

3) As far as I can tell, the only difference between
recovery mode and the default mode is that recovery mode
uses single-user mode -- meaning that it boots you into a
root login console and doesn't start a lot of your daemons.
It's there in case something's broken on your machine and
you need to fix it.

4) To add a Windows block, use the instructions I gave the
other day -- which basically involve copying a block out of
/usr/share/doc/grub/examples/menu.lst

Let me know if this helps. And please email the debian-user
list directly, not me. That way others with more and
different expertise can help you too.

Cheers,
Steve

--