Re: Debian Installation

Despite what some people have told you, it wasn't necessarily a waste of
time to download all 14 CDs. But true, most people will just need the
first CD and then do all the apt-get magic online.

If you want to use the CDs as your apt repository, then change name of
file /etc/apt/sources.list (maybe to /etc/apt/sources.list.original).
Then (as root) do this:

   apt-cdrom -d /cdrom add

You will be prompted to insert a CD. Insert the last one first (that is,
CD No. 14), hit <enter>, then you'll be prompted for the next CD. Repeat
until you've got to CD No. 1.

Now you will have a new /etc/apt/sources.list file. Next time you do
"apt-get install anything", the CDs will be your apt repository. You
could restore things to their original condition by returning
/etc/apt/sources.list.original to it's original name.

cheers,
Robert