Re: Debian Installation

Yelamanchi, Yamuna wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the FULL CD set of 14 CDs from the Debian website for
> i386 processor.
>
> I installed the OS successfully using CD 1 (out of 14).
>
> During installation, it did not ask me to load the additional 13 CDs…
>
> I read the instructions on CD 2 on how to install it but they are not
> clear.
>
> I am totally clueless about what to do with the remaining 13 CDs, why
> I need them, how to install them etc.

Disk one contains the basic setup, and the most popular software. The
remaining disks contain the rest of the 15000 or so packages available.
You may need a few things off of Disk 2, and maybe a very few off of
Disk 3, but the average user won't go much beyond that.

I believe the last 6 or so of the 14 contain the source, which won't be
needed by most users. But since I never use CDs to install Debian (I
always use the netinstall method), I could be quite wrong about which
CDs have which software.

There's a utility to allow Debian to recognize the CDs; I think it's
"apt-cdrom". Someone who actually uses CDs can correct me if I'm wrong,
or you can google the Debian archives for specific info. I think you
just run "apt-cdrom" and it'll prompt you to install each CD so that the
system can read what packages are available on that CD. Then when you
run "apt-get", "apt-cache search", "aptitude search", "synaptic", etc,
those packages will be listed as being installable. If you choose to
install one of those packages, the system will prompt you to insert the
correct CD at the correct time.

I also suspect you're using Woody. Yuck! (Well, fine for a server, but
"yuck" for a workstation.) Woody is quite ancient. If you're looking for
a modern desktop, I suspect you'll find Testing/Sarge (or even
Unstable/Sid) more to your liking.

--
Kent West
Technology Support