Re: how to fix grub loader

On Tue, 10 May 2005 11:05:54 -0700 (PDT)
Charles Li <cli168@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I just use knoppix to do a HardDrive install, which
> uses lili, over a fedora install which uses grub.
> Now, when I boot up, it hangs and I only see the word
> GRUB.  How do I fix this?

What's happened is that LILO should have overwritten GRUB in the MBR,
but for some reason did not. So Grub is still there, but can no longer
find the configuration files (which were on the Fedora partition that
you overwrote with Knoppix).

I'm going to guess that you mistakenly put LILO in the root partition
rather than in the MBR. If that's the case, you need to run LILO again.
You should be able to fix it like this:

1) Boot your Knoppix CD again.
2) Is your hard disk automatically mounted? (look in /mnt/ to see). If
not, then:
    mkdir /temp
    mount /dev/hda1 /temp  (this assumes that /dev/hda1 is where you
have installed Knoppix)
3) chroot /temp
4) lilo -v

If LILO installs OK (doesn't give you a bunch of error messages), then
reboot and remove Knoppix CD, and LILO should now work.

cheers,
Robert

;mount /dev/hda1 /tmp/boot .....
#chroot /temp lilo -v