Icons gone after HDD trouble

Hello list,

I recently booted my laptop, and needed to perform a manual fsck to fix plenty
of errors. After that, all my icons went missing.
I'm running sarge with KDE, and there's not a single KDE icon in sight. I do
have icons in firefox (I suppose it comes with it's own set) and I assume
there's more like these, but every KDE app is iconless.
Many apps crash on startup, eg. Kmail:
kdecore (KIconLoader): ERROR: Error: standard icon theme "crystalsvg"  not
found!

I've reinstalled kde (by apt-get remove --purge the kdelibs package on wich all
depends) and reinstalled it after I renamed my ~/.kde folder and
/usr/share/icons.
That didn't do no good.
I've noticed that starting a Gnome app (Evolution) gives me the same problem:
(evolution:10869): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find the icon 'stock_mail'. The
'hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.

So it seems it's not just a KDE thing, but a general Debian icon issue.
I don't have a clue where to look, and google has left me guessing, so I hope
someone on the list can nudge me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Joost