Re: i845

Thnx, it's working now!
Changed memory in bios from 1 to 8.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kent West [mailto:westk@acu.edu]
Sent: maandag 9 mei 2005 16:16
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: SPAM:Re: i845

debian wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have debian installed on a new pc (P4, 512mb ram, intel onboard
i845).
> Everything works, i installed latest kernel (2.6.8.11), i have i810 as

> driver in my XF86config file but the problem is that i only can use
> 1024x768 with a default depth of 8.
>
> If i take 16, then i go back to 640x480.
>
> Now, this card should be a problem about this because the vga card is
> using ram frow the computer and has no (or almost none) own memory.
>
> Anyone knows how i can solve this so that i have higher resolution
> with a depth of 16 ?

Sounds like your BIOS is reporting too small an amount of Video RAM;
look in the BIOS for a RAM memory setting and see if you can increase
it.

(If you have a Dell, they had a buggy BIOS on at least one system that
misreported the amount of available video RAM, so even if you set it to
8 in the BIOS, it still only reported 1 to the OS.)

--
Kent West
Technology Support