Re: Login KDE style as Root

Fear not, my little ones, I'm not even connected to the Internet. The odds, any way, of my doing this much while connected is small. AN,d I'm probably going to have to re-install Debian soon. So, I'm not too concerned. Yet.

On 09/05/05, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
David R. Litwin wrote:

> Let me preface this by saying: Yes, I know the security threats
> involved in logging in as the root; some times, however, I wish to do
> so. Thank you for understanding.
>
> Now then, I use KDM to login. With this, it is necessary to choose
> login through console, then login and type startx. This, however, make
> gnome come up.
>
> 1: How can I change this to KDE?

Create/edit ~/.xinitrc
All you need is the single line containing the [ desktop environment /
window manager ] you want, like so:

> westk[@westk03]:/home/westk> cat .xinitrc
> #icewm
> #xterm
> #wmaker
> startkde
> #xfce
> #gnome-session

Another method would be to change your default window manager, but I
never remember the details on doing this (perhaps by using
"update-alternatives"?).

Still another method would be to feed to "startx" the name of the window
manager you wish to use, but again, I never remember the details on
doing this.

> 2: I read that to allow for a root login with KDM, one must edit the
> files located at either /usr/kde/3.4/config/kdm/kdm/c or
> /etc/opt/kde3/shore/config/kdm with the following:
> #allow root at login.
> #default is true.
> #AllowRootLogin=false.
> I have KDE 3.3 and both of these do not exist.
> How do I do this, then?

Edit the file "/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc" (on a Debian system); in this file
you'll find the "AllowRootLogin" line; set that to "True".

> Again, thank you in advance.

Argh, I feel so dirty, telling someone how to log into X as root.  ;-)

--
Kent