Re: Login KDE style as Root

David R. Litwin wrote:

> Let me preface this by saying: Yes, I know the security threats
> involved in logging in as the root; some times, however, I wish to do
> so. Thank you for understanding.
>
> Now then, I use KDM to login. With this, it is necessary to choose
> login through console, then login and type startx. This, however, make
> gnome come up.
>
> 1: How can I change this to KDE?

Create/edit ~/.xinitrc
All you need is the single line containing the [ desktop environment /
window manager ] you want, like so:

> westk[@westk03]:/home/westk> cat .xinitrc
> #icewm
> #xterm
> #wmaker
> startkde
> #xfce
> #gnome-session

Another method would be to change your default window manager, but I
never remember the details on doing this (perhaps by using
"update-alternatives"?).

Still another method would be to feed to "startx" the name of the window
manager you wish to use, but again, I never remember the details on
doing this.

> 2: I read that to allow for a root login with KDM, one must edit the
> files located at either /usr/kde/3.4/config/kdm/kdm/c or
> /etc/opt/kde3/shore/config/kdm with the following:
> #allow root at login.
> #default is true.
> #AllowRootLogin=false.
> I have KDE 3.3 and both of these do not exist.
> How do I do this, then?

Edit the file "/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc" (on a Debian system); in this file
you'll find the "AllowRootLogin" line; set that to "True".

> Again, thank you in advance.

Argh, I feel so dirty, telling someone how to log into X as root.  ;-)

--
Kent