Re: About boot scripts and pppoe [was Dydns service]

On 5/10/05, Almut Behrens <almut_behrens@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 11:53:57PM +0530, Deboo ^ wrote:
> >
> > I have configured ddclient to update dyndns and when I type ddclient
> > -ip my.ip.add.ress, the address gets updated at dyndns in mintes but I
> > want to make ddclient do this automatically. I tried a number of
> > options but ddclient fails to get my (ppp0) ip. What option do I need
> > to make ddclient find my ip correctly and update dyndns? I can't find
> > my ip in syslog.
>
> We recently had a thread here on this (May 5th).  Look for
> "how to determine WAN IP address from behind a NAT router?"
> in the archives -- there were several suggestions...
>
> ddclient itself offers a way to query your router's web status page
> and extract your current external IP from it.
> For example, I have this in my config (/etc/ddclient.conf):
>
> fw-login=admin                 # router login
> fw-password=my-router-passw    # and password
> use=fw                         # get IP from firewall (router)
> fw=192.168.1.1/doc/digisdn.sht
> fw-skip='WAN IP Address'
>
> "192.168.1.1/doc/digisdn.sht" is the HTTP URL to the router's status
> page, and 'WAN IP Address' is the keyword after which the IP address is
> found in the HTML returned by the router.
> Of course, you'd have to figure out what those are in your case...
>
> Almut

I figured this out (or RTFMed). It was simple: ddclient -use=if ppp0 .
That's all that was needed and I put this in a script that scarts ppp
at bootup (a script under /etc/rc.boot) The only thing now is that
most of the times, pppd hasn't yet got an IP from the router and
ddclient starts up. I have given a sleep time for ddclient as 3 mintes
but even this much is less and it fails when the ppp0 IP takes more
time.

Same thing happens with ipmasq which also is started along with
ddclient. Then lots of ipmasq junk comes on the screen and it's hard
to type a command or even login ( i need to keep pressing Ctrl - L).
Is there a solution to this? Previously it never used to take long to
get  the IP address. Is there a way I can make this proicess faster? I
use pppoe.

And is there  way I can execute the scripts that I have under
/etc/rc.boot? Like the scripts under /etc/rcx.d hev a number
associated with them and when they get executed?

Regards,
Deboo

--
Please don't Cc: me, I'm subscribed to the list.