php problem with gallery

Yesterday I tried to install the gallery package which allows you to store
pictures on a web site.

One of the early parts of the setup is to point your browser at

http://site.url/gallery/setup/index.php

from whence it is supposed to allow you to set up some parameters.

Unfortunately for me, all I get is a blank screen.

I tried to debug what was happening by adding lines of the form

echo "<p>Got here XXX</p>\n";

in the code so that it was appear in the browser as it was executing.

I tracked it through successfully until it got to a point where it was
executing

gallery/session.php

Inside this file there is a routine called createGalllerySession which first
calls the php function session_name('GallerySession'); and then a bit further
down calls @session_start();

From that point onwards no echo statements appear, which of course explains
why I get a blank screen when trying to setup gallery.

I assume that I have something wrong with some parameters in /etc/php4/php.ini

Anyone any idea what it might be?
--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk