Re: X session error

On 5/9/05, Mrbizz4@aol.com <Mrbizz4@aol.com> wrote:

> I am having problems logging into my gnome desktop environment as my regular
> users.  I can however log into it as root.  When I attempt to log in as a
> regular user I get a message which states the following,"Xsession warning:
> unalbe to write to /tmp;xsession may exit with an error."  When I look at
> the xsession-error file it states that there is not space left on device,
> however I just bought the hard drive that Linux is operating and I know I
> should have plenty of room.  It also gives me the message "mkdtemp private
> socket dir".

Well, just because you just bought the hard disk means nothing.  :)
Run "df" on it and see how much space is REALLY left in /tmp.  Maybe
it really is full.

Have you tried rebooting?  IIRC when you reboot, Debian clears /tmp.
If some rogue program dumped a bunch of stuff there and filled it up,
that might fix it.

Also, is /tmp on a separate partition?  You do know that hard drives
can be partitioned, right?