Re: Debian Installation

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 11:10:32AM -0700, Yelamanchi, Yamuna wrote:
> I downloaded the FULL CD set of 14 CDs from the Debian website for i386
> processor.
>
> I installed the OS successfully using CD 1 (out of 14).

Great, you now have at least a basic Debian install with some
functioning applications. This may be enough for your needs so you may
not even need the other cds. But do read on. :)

> I am totally clueless about what to do with the remaining 13 CDs, why I
> need them, how to install them etc.

The main purpose of those cds is to save you some future download
time. For this to work you need to tell your system that you have
these cds. This is how:

Put the second cd in your cdrom drive and then as root type:

apt-cdrom

and follow instructions if any. Do the same for the other cds.

From the apt-cdrom manual page:

####
apt-cdrom is used to add a new CDROM to APTs list of available
sources. apt-cdrom takes care of determining the structure of the disc
as well as correcting for several possible mis-burns and verify- ing
the index files.

It is necessary to use apt-cdrom to add CDs to the APT system, it
cannot be done by hand. Furthermore each disk in a multi-cd set must
be inserted and scanned separately to account for possible mis-burns.
####

That said, try: http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst.

Public GnuPG key: keyserver.net ID 0x1735C5C2
"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill