Re: Debian Installation

Le lundi 09 mai 2005 à 11:10 -0700, Yelamanchi, Yamuna a écrit :
> Hi,

Hi,

> I downloaded the FULL CD set of 14 CDs from the Debian website for
> i386 processor.

It's a shame there are only 14 of them. Wait until Etch, the next next
stable Debian, there are more than 20 DVDs planned. I hope you can see
by this metric that Debian is far superior to anything else :)

> I installed the OS successfully using CD 1 (out of 14).

That's rather unsurprising, considering how really good it is. I hope
you will let your customers know.

> During installation, it did not ask me to load the additional 13 CDs…

You probably missed the apt-setup step. If you want to register your 13
CDs as valid package source, just type

apt-setup

as root, and choose the CDROM method ... and prepare the CDs.

> I read the instructions on CD 2 on how to install it but they are not
> clear.
>

> I am totally clueless about what to do with the remaining 13 CDs, why
> I need them, how to install them etc.

In fact, unless you plan to live on a broadband-less Island, unconnected
to the outside world except by avian carriers (note that TCP/IP over
pigeons has been successfully tested, it's only the latency that causes
problems), your 13 CDs are probably useless.

99,99% of debian (except the small Netinst CD needed to bootstrap the
system) can install itself straight from the Net.

You see, the 13 remant CDs contain each approximatively 7,1 % of the
complete Debian archive for the soon-to-be-stable Sarge release, 99% of
which will be of no use for your customers. They contain various
APPLICATIONS bundled as PACKAGES. But the remainging 1% may be great for
you (and them).

> Can you please help! I am trying to evaluate Debian to recommend it to
> my customers.

Customers of Intel Corp ?

By the way, do you intend to "evaluate" what's Debian is worth for your
customers just by discovering it yourself right now ? Is that really
fair ?

Every cloud engenders not a storm. -- William Shakespeare, "Henry VI"

the system manager.

www.clearswift.com