Re: Firefox: Selected profile is already in use

On 5/8/05, Deboo Geek <knowledgeful@gmail.com> wrote:
> I changed the username of a user with the usermod command and also
> changed the home dir name to the new username, as well as any
> permissions etc. Now when I run firefox, it asks me to select one of
> the listed profiles but if I select any of the two, it says that the
> profile is already in use (even the default profile) and I should
> create a new one or select another. What do I need to do?  This is
> under Debian testing.

The problem with firefox is that it stores the dirname of the user
somewhere in its config files. I'd suggest something like 'grep -R
'/path/to/old/user/dir' .firefox') That'll recursively search all
files in the firefox configuration directory for this path. You can
then see where the most important entries are (probably prefs.js or
the likes) and change it there. Alternatively, you can just backup
bookmarks en rm -r .firefox but you never know you might have set some
settings that you don't want to loose. (and deleting an other users'
files is a bit rude)

greets,
Wim