Re: Non-debian cd

What did you do when you burnt the CD?  I've used a number of netinst
images with no trouble.
I tried a variety of different procedures.  The first cd I wrote to was the ISO, files not verified.  The second was another burn of the image--data not verified.  The third try involved extracting the ISO, burning it, verifying the disc and making it bootable.
Ah.  Nero.  Windows.  What do you mean "expanded?"
Sorry, expanded=extracted.
An iso image should be burned as is.  I've burned usable
CDs with Nero, so it is possible.  Make sure you're creating
an image data CD.
Yes, as I figured was the case.  I've burned operational cd's quite a few times with Nero as well but the Debian cd's I've created have never seemed to function as they "should."

Good choice.  Once you get past the teething pains, you'll love it.
If I'm ever fortunate enought to get past the difficulties of installation... I'm sure I will love it.

I would like to again mention the question I had regarding DR-DOS when booting directly from the Debian netinst cd.  I recently got this to work (much to my surprise) and I'm curious as to what exactly this involves...

Thanks
Michael

On 5/7/05, s. keeling <keeling@spots.ab.ca> wrote:
Incoming from Michael:

> I have been having troubles to no end installing Debian on my system.
> I've recently purchased a WD800JD SATA hd and the I/OFlex SATA Controller.
>
> First I was trying to install Woody for ~3-4 days before I received both
> pieces of hardware and have been trying to install it for many hours today.
> I asked a variety of questions in the Debian IRC channel and a user
> suggested I install Sarge with hopes of it supporting the SATA drive. Woody

I agree with him.  With relatively bleeding edge hardware (SATA),
woody's likely too old.  Not that it's impossible, but it's likely
more trouble than it's worth at the moment.  I don't run bleeding edge
hardware, so woody's fine for me.

> install Sarge with Netinst, I load files from ' cd-drivers.img' in which it
> afterwards attempts to mount the Debian cd. However, I receive the error
> that "the cd is a non-debian cd."

What did you do when you burnt the CD?  I've used a number of netinst
images with no trouble.

> The latest cd I've created (w/ Nero Express) is bootable and the ISO has
> been expanded and burned.

Ah.  Nero.  Windows.  What do you mean "expanded?"  An iso image
should be burned as is.  I've burned usable CDs with Nero, so it is
possible.  Make sure you're creating an image data CD.

> Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I really have my hopes up for Debian and
> would rather not install a different distro.

Good choice.  Once you get past the teething pains, you'll love it.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling       Please don't Cc: me.
- -