VIA VT6102 Onboard NIC

Hi,

I have recently installed debian using the net install CD image.

During the installation the system connected to the internet (after being manually given an IP number as DHCP is temperamental on this network at best) downloaded all of the base system, then rebooted.

On reboot the network card doesnt appear to work at all.

dmesg identifies the card fine as VIA VT6102 Rhine-II 0xc000, however the error "eth0: NETDEV WATCHDOG: Transmit failed status 003, PHY status 786d" appears when trying anything involving network connectivity.

ipconfig shows the interface fully configured.

I'm newish to debian but not to linux, and this has me rather confused. I cant, for one, work out why the network card would work perfectly during the initial installation but not afterwards.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ross