Re: ftpd login problem

Robert Vangel <vangelr@rfgt.net> writes:

> Björn Lindström wrote:
>
>>>Stable/Sarge/Unstable?
>> Sarge, up-to-date as of today.
>>
>>>Also try /var/log/messages
>> There's nothing there, either. I tried grepping for 'ftp' in /var/log
>> and found nothing more useful than that line from /var/log/syslog.
>>
>>>also try restarting inetd (or xinetd whichever you use).
>> Restarting inetd didn't appear to change anything.
>>

> Is it always that user? Can you login with a different user?

I've tried several accounts with the same results.

> Also check out any filtering. Make sure there aren't any localhost
> restrictions which would affect it.

It fails just as much from the outside. Both from inside our firewall
and via NAT.

> After that, sorry I can't think of anything else other than purge &
> reinstall right now. Maybe try a different ftpd?

I did both, including trying several other ftpds, which leads me to
think the trouble is with PAM. I know next to nothing about PAM,
though, so I don't really know where to go next.