Re: SSH Blocking (and then IMAP passwords)

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 02:26:04PM -0700, Beretta wrote:
> The windows ssh client PuTTY.exe will easily fit on a floppy disk (368KB) and
> the private key half of a private/public key pair should consume around 2KB (for
> a total of 370KB) Of course, I personally prefer to keep my stuff on a USB
> thumbdrive as they seem to be much more reliable than floppies.

Scares the crap out of me using someone's Windows machine to connect
with putty.  I fear spyware key loggers.  I assume they exist.  I
used to carry a small bootable linux distribution, but I can't always
convince people to let me boot off it.

I guess you cannot trust any machine you use that isn't your own.

Single use passwords are a good idea, but seems like a pain to use.
When working from a remote machine I often connect multiple times
during the same session (yes, I also use screen).

One hole I worry about is web mail.  I setup webmail (over SSL) for my
wife to use, and disabled her account so no ssh logins.  Again, it's
that fear of someone snooping.  But, I get lazy and use the webmail
access once in a while, and although it's over an SSL connection I'm
typing my password in on an untrusted machine.

I use exim4 to deliver to procmail which then delivers to Maildir
directories.  I use IMAP to access the mail with the "authpam"
authentication module.

I need to setup Courier IMAP to use a different set of passwords -- but
still have read/write access to each user's $HOME/Maildir.

Anyone have a suggestion on how best to do that?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org