Re: ? Realtime Capable 2.6.8 Kernel

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 08:13:03PM +0200, Nicos Gollan wrote:
> On Thursday April 28 2005 17:33, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > I want to use jack but jackstart says my kernel has realtime
> > capabilities disabled.   I compiled the kernel from the current Debian
> > kernel-source-2.6.8 and I have carefully reviewed the options displayed
> > by make menuconfig but can not recognize any option to enable realtime
> > capabilities.  Where is it?
>
> Under "Security options", you need to enable:
>  - Default Linux Capabilities (SECURITY_CAPABILITIES) as a module
>  - NSA SELinux Development Support (SECURITY_SELINUX_DEVELOP).
>
> Then you install the realtime-lsm-source package and build it along with a
> suitable kernel.
>
> To use the module, just install the realtime-lsm package and make sure a
> proper group is set in /etc/default/realtime (29 (audio) is usually fine,
> just add your user to that group). Running "/etc/init.d/realtime start"
> should then enable the module and jackd should be happy.

I did all of this and lsmod shows the realtime module is installed but
jack is not completely happy.  That is, working a root, I issued the
command jackstart and got the response

jackstart: cannot get realtime capabilities, current capabilities are
           =ep cap_setpcap-ep
	   probably running under a kernel with capabilities disabled
	   a suitable kernel would have printed something like "=eip"

On the other hand working as a regular user from a console in xwindows
the command qjackctl results in "Could not open ALSA sequencer as a client.
Midi patch bay will not be available." but I can open Ardour which
reports using jack for recording and playback.

Tom